Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My 70 year old dad had pleaded guilty (for touching a 25

Customer Question

My 70 year old dad had pleaded guilty (for sexual touching a 25 year lady )in magistrate court on first day of court. His case was sent to crown court for sentencing. We are waiting for sentencing date since 2 months. How long can I be on bail waiting for sentencing date. Court is unable to find interpreter. What happens if court could not find interpreter for many months. ? My dad is from other country and dependant on me. His passport was seized. Mom left to my country and living alone. She is twice heart patient cancer wheel chaired. I am unable to meet my dad's food and medical needs. I am driving him daily to station for signature. I too have a life to live. My wife is also planning to leave me. This has taken happiness out of my family and ruining my family. What can I do ?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Sorry for the delay. Normally a person is on bail to the crown court for roughly three weeks to a month before they are called in for sentence. It depends on the listings in that area. It can be much less but not usually more.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

They will find an interpretor. That is never a problem long term. I have never known a case where the court cannot find one in the end.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Can I ckarify anything for you? Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi jo
Is there a guideline of max days above which a person should not be made wait for sentencing date. What happens if that period expires,My dad can not understand the English accent , but he can read write English. Is there a guideline of court can proceed with written questionnaire in such situations, I wonder if such guideline is not available, if yes please let me know how I can appeal to court for written questionnaire, this delay is ruining my family, he pleaded guilty on September 28, there was no happiness in family since last three months, I am planning kids, my wife is leaving me, dad every other day struggles of his health, how can I let the court know we are struggling every day since last three months.Best regards
Sravan
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Not on bail. There are custody time limits but that doesn't apply here.

This can't be done by written questionnaire I'm afraid.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

But they will find an interpreter.