Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My insurance company tried to write my car off ,i have got

Customer Question

my insurance company tried to write my car off ,i have got an independant report to state that it is repairable ,i have been renting a car at a cost to myself ,can i claim back the money ,when i first got told that my car was a right off, i questioned it and found that the garage had inflated the estimate ,and duplicated some parts ,i told the insurer my concerns so they instructed a assessor to check but they duplicated the same parts and agreed with the first estimate
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

I'm really sorry but you cannot.

This is an assessment for the insurance company. If they choose not to repair a vehicle then they are free to do that but they must offer an alternative.

The fact that you have persuade them to change their mind is great but that doesn't mean you can claim the cost of a hire car I'm afraid.

Sorry if that is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i havent pesuaded them to change their mind,i have found out that the car should not have been ear marked for a write off in the first place and while i was waiting for this information i rented a car ,if the insurance company had done their job correctly they to would have found out that the car was repairable and i wouldnt have had to rent a car for the period when i was instructing an independant assesor to check their assesment
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Yes, and that is great. It doesn't give you a claim for a hire car unless your contract gives you a claim