Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am inquiring best friend who was struggling with finances

Customer Question

I am inquiring for my best friend who was struggling with finances and shoplifted two items for job interview and was caught... she told the true on the spot (explained that she did it) and was issued with a fine that supposed to arrive from RLP in a month time. Shall she take additional actions, will this incident be recorded? She is worried it will affect future job hunt?! Any advice on this situation would be very much appreciated! I have known her as a genuine person and am convinced that she did it only cause she did not want to borrow from no one.
Regards, *****
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 months ago.

What would you like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I would like to know if this incident will be recorded and may this affect her future job hunt or credit rating? As well will this be on record, shall she wants to apply for British citizenship? As she is currently holding European passport?Best Regards,
Denis Minin
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 months ago.

I can help with the employment issue but I won't know anything about immigration.

We do have immigration specialists that I can hand this over to.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I was hoping for a general information on the consequences this might have in the future?!
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The police wasn't involved just security, will this stay as a criminal record? The fine was issued by RLP that will be paid as soon as she gets it.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 months ago.

If this was nothing to do with the police then there should not be consequences.

It is not a criminal matter.

It was just a civil recovery notice effectively issued by the firm not by the police so it should not show on DBS as the firm doesn't have access to it.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo