Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Boundary fence problem. We have been maintaining the left

Customer Question

Boundary fence problem. We have been maintaining the left side rear fence pg our property for nearly 30 years. Now a section of the right side fence has blown down, and the occupiers of the property to our right say they have been told that it's our fence not theirs. The deeds picture is not helpful. Ir has a black box defining the property and a red rectangle inside that.
All the neighbours that I have contacted so far around us (four) all say they maintain the left side fence. Can I reasonably state that the fence to our right is not ours to maintain?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 12 months ago.

Hi

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

Are there any small "T" marks" on the boundary on either your plan or theirs?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No. I've already talked it through from the people at the Land Registry, and they said that I should ask them for any proof they had about who owned which fence. I've already polled a lot of other neighbours and they ALL say that they maintain the left fence. I think I have to wait now, but one thing is for sure - I'm not touching that fence!
Expert:  Clare replied 12 months ago.

On either side does the Title Register refer to earlier deeds that can be traced?