Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I paid a holding deposit on a rental property via telephone.

Customer Question

I paid a holding deposit on a rental property via telephone. Subsequently the rental feel through due to failure of a reference check and delays on the part of the estate agents. I was not initially told that the deposit was non refundable. I have subsequently made an online small claim against the estate agent for the return of my deposit. I received a default judgement but this was subsequently updated to a hearing to have the claim set aside. I have been notified that I need to attend a hearing and am not sure how to precede.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 months ago.

What would you like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I wish to know if I am entitled to the return of holding deposit. I paid this via telephone/visa without being notified that this is non refundable. I was initially given a potential move in date but subsequently failed a reference check. There were further delays due to delivery of a bed from the landlord so I notified the estate agents after a further 2/3 weeks of delay that I was pulling out as I needed to find accomadation immediately. I subsequently found another apartment almost immediately and was notified by the estate agent that I would lose my deposit if I did not complete.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 months ago.

Do you know why you failed?