Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I got arrested first time ever on Sunday night. My partner

Customer Question

Hello I got arrested for the first time ever on Sunday night. My partner walked passed the police and stupidly wound them
Up! It all
Happened so fast I saw they were trying to take him away and I held onto my boyfriend in sheer panik as I didn't no what was going on. Before I knew it I had been sprayed in the face and I just lay on the floor. When interviewed by the police I admitted to obstructing a police officer and apologised as I explained I just panicked. I then get told I'm being arrested for wreckessly wounding a police officer ( he h which I told them in an interview I would not do this. Feel completely and utterly ashamed abou the whole thing. They have charged my partner with the same and I have to go to bail on the 13th of January. The police officer that was injured said he doesn't no himself how this happened either. I explained to them I would not of hurt anybody. The officer that's investigation this said I will more than likely get a caution and fine I'm just panicki
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
They have arrested us both for section 20. My solicter said he feels it won't amount to anything
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 months ago.

What would you like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
What will happen no in regards ***** *****??? The officer said I would probably get a caution and community service but I'm panicking they will send me to prison
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 months ago.

What is the nature of the wounding?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The officer has broken his thumb he doesn't no how it happened throughout the incident
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 months ago.

What was put to you interview about how it happened? I dont see how that amounts to a 'wound' but it could be another offence.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
They said under section 20 wreckessly wounding him. They then said that the officer said he's not sure how this happened himself so they are going to investigate it further
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 months ago.

They are not going to be able to prosecute you on that basis.

They probably will prosecute for obstruction but not wounding. Also, it is not a wound but it is an ABH.

If it was caused during the arrest whilst restraining you struggling then that does amount to an ABH as your resistance was unlawful but he is still going to need to be able to say that it was caused in that way.

If it is just an obstructing then it would just lead to a fine.

If it remains a S20 then the sentencing options do rack up a bit although on a reckless basis you would probably avoid custody.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
That's all thank you extremely mortified by myself.
Yes it was down as section 20 assault reckless. The officer has said he didn't no how it happened either
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 months ago.

If they intend to pursue that he is going to need to give some evidence that it was caused during the arrest of you.

It will probably turn into an obstructing the police.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 months ago.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.