Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I visited the site called qikfk.com and was coerced to

Customer Question

I visited the site called qikfk.com and was coerced to reveal myself inappropriately and now they are blackmailing me for money. What should I do?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What type of site is this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a site that is supposed to connect adult individuals for relationships. You then receive video calls from attractive girls who work very hard to get the recipient (me) to reveal them selves inappropriately. Then I was bombarded with threats saying that they would publish the videos they have to all my social media contacts I. E my friends
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

And what are they asking for to avoid that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They continue to bombard me now with demands for money and threats
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What is their justification for demanding money?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are threatening to publish embarrassing video of me to people and friends on my contact list unless I subscribe to their site which I suspect might fleece me
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, that is blackmail then. It isn't even dressed up as a legitimate demand.

You can make a report to the police about this. They can trace their location from their IP address although obviously if they are based abroad then they cannot be prosecuted.

There is no way of preventing them from taking this action. If they are UK based then I suppose you could seek an injunction but it would be my guess that they are based outside of the jurisdiction as usually these scams operate in that way.

Sorry if that is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. I'm not surprised. However my guess is that (hopefully ) their threats will not be fulfilled as I suspect that it would be more work than it's worth for them. The content they have although a bit embarrassing is thankfully not beyond the realms of normal adult behaviour. I am considering telling them to do their worst as I'm not bothered and I will certainly not pay them a penny. I am tempted to tell them that I have reported them to the police and the sites where they ply their trade. I have in the mean time temporarily suspended my social pages. Have you a view on this?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I think that is probably true. They are just trying to get money from you. I think probably telling them you have reported them isn't a bad idea.