Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I bought my dads house for �650,000, it was valued at

Customer Question

Hi ,
I bought my dads house for �650,000, it was valued at �870,000. We completed last Tuesday.He reduced the price by �100,000, an early inheritance. I have agreed to pay off the other �120,00 as soon as possible.
But my siblings started to get jealous and started saying it wasn't fair that I was getting an early inheritance because it would affect their inheritance, etc, etc, because it wouldnt be gathering interest, etc, etc. Then my dad changed his mind about the inheritance. They now want me to pay the �220,000 within 6 months and they want to put a legal charge on the house, the title deeds, etc. But I have already bought the house. Can they do what they say? They say they can make me sell the house after the six months if I dont pay the �220,000 within that time. Shouldn't the legal charge have been drawn up and signed and agreed before completion? Or even before contracts were exchanged? What can they do to make me pay within six months?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Thanks for your patience.

Is there anything in writing about you agreeing to pay it back when you could?

Tom