Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

There used to be a small access alley from the main road to

Customer Question

There used to be a small access alley from the main road to the back if our house which the previous owner of our home used as his garage opened onto it. We removed the garage and built a summer house with no direct opening into the alley but we used it for maintaining the summer house. Our neighbours have all extended their gardens into this alley without speaking to us and the end neighbour has built a garage over the access from the road. We do not need the access from the road at the moment but if we ever wanted to replace or modify the summer house we would need to use a crane to access the garden at great expense. Is there some way.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Who owns the alley and do you or thee other neighbours have rights of access (written in your deeds) over the land?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to check the deeds to see what they say

Any joy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Embarrassingly we cannot find the deeds - I thought the Coventry BS had them but it turns out they have a scan. We can order deeds and a boundary search from the Land Registry - would a Boundary search give me the info I need?

Yes - it would or you can order a copy online at the Land Registry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will order a boundary search online with the land Registry and let you know what it says.C x

ok

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have the deeds and it says that our property "benefits from an alley way to the rear" which I think means we do have a right of way along the alley.
Does this mean that we can claim compensation from our neighbours for the loss to our property? As previously stated we have built a summer house at the end of our garden which blocks the entrance; but we were using the alley to maintain our summer house. We have cleared the alley twice at our own expense, first to build the summer house and then a second time to re-paint and maintain the exterior of the summer house. Also if we every wanted to replace th summer house we would have to either bring everything through the house - or have it lifted over by crane. Can we claim compensation for future events like that?
Thank you