Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I was stopped on the motorway and went through a harrowing

Customer Question

I was stopped on the motorway and went through a harrowing ordeal.I was asked if I was on my mobile .I said no .The officer said her partner thought maybe I had but not sure.She took my pass port and then returned telling me to get in police caras she was suspicious of me . She drove my car to a hotel car park and I was asked questions about whether I was a recreational drug user , did I take steroids etc.I was astounded. I had to leave my handbag with money etc in my car .She then searched my car .I asked what was going on and the officer in the police car responded I would be told post search. My car was searched and workmen were looking . Then she returned and made comment about just because of my attire (I was smartly dressed in a suit ) it did not mean I would be treat any different to others. I was amazed ! Then I was asked to switch my phone on which was not turned off when I left my car and asked to put a code in *hash 6 and I cant remember the rest to check if my phone was stolen ?? I did because I was told if I did I could go . This is a brief synopsis , there was lots of other things said.I was allowed to go with no apology after I had been called a liar etc , humiliated , degraded and treat in my view an aggressive manner. I am left wondering if this code did something to my phone and was told by colleagues that this was not the law and I had put the code in but should have refused . Why would they do this to a law abiding person who was clearly traumatised by the whole event ? When I got home I was so upset and did not sleep last night . They seemed to get off on having police powers . I feel that they will continue in this manner unless a complaint is made . Please can you advise and especially regarding my phone please
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What would you like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can they do this , are they allowed to demean and humiliate you and what have they done to my phone with this code ?
Is there anything I can do about it ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, in short. Obviously it is not best practice and I know they are rude sometimes. That isn't unlawful per se. You could put in a complaint to the IPCC but I really wouldn't suggest it. Even if you succeed they will just get words of advice and then they will take revenge. Police officers don't lose their job for being rude I'm afraid.

In terms of what they actually did, they are entitled to stop any person about whom they have the barest suspicion. It is very easy to justify a stop. It is quite unlikely they have no explanation for this at all.

In terms of your phone, obviously I will have no way of knowing what they did at scene but I would imagine they were checking the IMEI code which is on the back of most devices.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why would they check the EMEI code , what would this show please ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I just wonder what they need to check EMEI code for , what will it show ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Usually to search for stolen property.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou, I think I can draw a line now .Your right I would never win.I'm just disappointed that police officers in a position of trust and supposedly serving the public could treat anyone so disrespectfully ***** ***** your a criminal times it by 10 though I suspect criminals would not be upset by it.The respect I once had for our police force has diminished sadly because of 2 very unproffesional individuals .I have heard stories about police brutality and always thought that they must have done something wrong and deserved it.I know now that its not always the case but it certainly makes you wary.Once again THANKYOU.I appreciate your response and time.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, sometimes people do antagonise the police but there are officers who do annoy people deliberately. Not everybody with power uses it wisely.

The question really is whether there is anything to gain by complaining. I almost never advise a complaint. I always find it blows up in your face in the long run even if you win in the short term. There are exceptions but if it is just that an officer was rude it is just not worth it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo,
They were not just rude but very aggressive .They made some very personal unjust comments which I could not bring myself to write.Anyway I am a genuinely nice person who even wished them a nice day before getting in my car and bursting into tears.The annoying part was how much they were enjoying trying to frighten me .Your advice has been invaluable and confirmed what I suspected.Tomorrow is another day and I will sleep better tonight thanks to you .
Many Thanks
Anita
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I understand. For what it is worth, I have a policy of almost never complaining about anything. It has served me well.

The inevitable consequence of complaining about people is that you create a motivation for them to act against you. Some will. Some won't. It is a risk you don't want.

All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.