Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I was arrested theft from employer three months ago. I

Customer Question

Hello. I was arrested for a theft from employer three months ago. I played guilty at police station. I was today at police station and charged with following: For period over three months steeling goods from my employer and selling those on ebay. They said on interview value 30 000 but I have on charges sheet £11500 which is still crazy amount.
I worked at the office and was taking goods home and sell those on ebay using my housemate ebay account without him knowing. Using his ebay account does not appear on charges sheet form police station. Police took from my home a lot of item which I had from work but did not sell. I was taking stuff from work and selling it on ebay. I was an office worker there for one year time.
Police investigated that in my previous employer I stolen goods worth £4000 pound where I work two years as a stock controller. I played guilty to those charges too. I was selling those on ebay too.
I have to go to Magistrate Court in two weeks. Can you please tell me what I can expect there? What sentence I can get? I asked if I can work it back, pay monthly or so but police has not answered. I never been in trouble before. Can you tell me in simple words what sentence I might get? How Magistrate Court will look like and if I get sentenced it will happen straight away form the court or what?
Please don's show this conversation on your website, I want it to stayed private.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi this will be public until we finish the question and then we can make it private, is that okay?

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you please make it private, I dont want to share it with anyone
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Have you repaid any of it?

Can you repay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can repay maybe 2000, I asked by email if I can pay anything back to my employer but have no respond at all
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. What was your position in the company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was a shipping assistant there. I was responsible to ship orders. Its picking and packing company, it was their clients stock.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Theft can be very serious or very trivial. I'm afraid theft from employer is very serious because of the breach of trust.

£11k is a large amount although not the largest.

The good news is that you didn't have a very senior position in the company and so the breach of trust imposed in you is not the highest.

However, I'm afraid you are still at risk of custody. You would probably avoid it as this is a borderline amount and for a first offence people do generally avoid custody.

I would imagine the Magistrates will send this to the Crown Court. It is not all that likely they would keep an amount of this kind at the Magistrates Court but it doesn't matter really. You are much better off being sentenced in the Crown Court by a proper Judge.

I would imagine they will want a pre sentence report so it will need to be adjourned.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But did you read that I was stealing from previous company too? That will not make situation worse?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it will.

Only if it lead to a conviction but a conviction will be considered. It depends when it happened. Generally speaking convictions over 10 years old are disregarded.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

There is no way around the fact that you are at risk of custody I'm afraid. You will probably avoid it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was stock controller at one company, I stole there for 4000 according to police, moved to another company and stolen there for 11500. It was all together in period of three years. Does that matter, can you clarify what risk of custody I am?
I am gay and I have anemia
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, did the first matter lead to a conviction?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont understand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was charged with both thefts today at police station. 4000 form one employer and 11500 from next one, I played guilty for both
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Then this is a first offence effectively.

The two will be sentenced together as a first offence.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is percentage for me going in to jail?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It can't really be expressed in percentages.

It could happen. It is the starting point. You would probably avoid it.