Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Is it possible to legally change my name well in advance of

Customer Question

hi, is it possible to legally change my name well in advance of a court case to avoid my real name appearing in the local media?.. i am already experiencing a backlash from my neighbours due to a police search of my flat and genuinely fear for my own safety and that of my property if the local media eventually report my name. thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It is possible to change your name by deedpoll.

But it won't achieve the result you want Im afraid. The Crown will just amend the charge to include your new name and your old name will be reported as an alias.

I'm very sorry but there is just plain no way of doing this. Justice must be open in the UK and that includes the freedom of the press to report upon it.

There is an application that you can make to restriction the freedom of the press but it is almost never allowed and you have to show that the press will literally raise a mob to place your life in danger. Even then they always find ways around it.

Sorry if that is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo