Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

L am being taken court l am self employed valeter customer

Customer Question

hi l am being taken court l am self employed valeter customer car was stolen didnt have public liablility at the time but has traders policy theres keys where stolen from my van
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
clients car got stolen keys where taken from my locked van l have reported it to my motor traders insurance and the third partys insurance keeps mailing me saying my insurance have no claim on file and that l havent reported and the third party treatening to take me to court l only had motor traders policy at the time and not public liability insurance
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but I'm not sure I understand?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a customers insurance is sueing me for the car being stolen and the customers car keys where stolen from my work van and only have motor traders policy not public liability insurance
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How did the keys come to be stolen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they broke into my work van and taken them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
l was working on another car close by and had finished that one thats why they where in the van and it was at there work place
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my colleague has decided not to continue with this question so I will take over. So as I understand you do not have valid insurance to cover this claim? Also did you have any terms with the client saying that you are not liable for the loss of a car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no terms but have reported it to my motor traders policy which should cover it with not having public liability at the time but her insurance have offered to pay out twice but she refused the amount so they are trying to claim from me even though them saying it was out of my control
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

ok so if you have insurance which is supposed to cover it, have you contacted the provider to make a claim with them about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
l reported it to them they keep saying the third party hasnt contacted them and the third party keeps saying l have not reported it to them that l need to contact them which have done many times