Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Im a small business selling IT equipment from our store in

Customer Question

im a small business selling IT equipment from our store in london. i bought some laptops but the people tricked us by filling the empty boxes with a book and re-shrink wrapping them. i went to the police and reported it, gave them all there details, video, car reg,etc but they dont care and didnt even reply. my questions is this, i have an insurance policy for my business with allianz. it says it covers mallicious act, would i be able to claim for this or should i just forget it? its �4,000. allianz told me there not sure and would have to ask an underwritter but i still havent had a reply from them.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Does it give you any more information than that?

How does is define malicious act?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im just looking at the main points, the summary of what is included.
its states 'Cover includes the following;
fire, aircraft, impact, malicious acts or vandalism, storm or flood, theft, accidental damagethere is no definanition of malicious acts but im sure somewhere in there small print its defined
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, that would be an issue.

This isn't quite a theft. It is more of a fraud which isn't a theft. I suppose you could argue it is a theft of the money. it depends what you are actually insuring. I would be quite surprised if it covers all of your actions rather than your products.

It is probably worth claiming. It is a small claims court sum so it would be cheap enough to issue and even Allianz aren't saying that they will not pay. They are accepting the possibility so that is positive.

Certainly 'malicious act' could cover a fraud.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Can I clarify anything for you?

If not, please remember to rate my answer.