José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

Jo, I went to Madrid with my partner, Spain around 13 months

Customer Question

Hi Jo, I went to Madrid with my partner, Spain around 13 months ago for a short weekend break, where we had our hotel room broken into. Our passports were stolen, so we reported the break in to the hotel manager, who reported the police. The next morning we went down the police statement to describe what happened. We went to the embassy to get new emergency passports issued to return home to the UK.
Last week however, we both received a letter from the Spanish police telling us we have to appear as witnesses or face a fine of 200 to 5000 euros, or if we still failed to turn up, be arrested. I am a bit confused as we do not want to return to Madrid at all, let alone go over there at our own expense to go to court.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your interest in me but I don't know anything about Spanish law.

I will opt out.

Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

José M spanish atorney

Spanish law forces to colaborate with court and justice

If we do not colaborate we could get a fine

But in your case, they could do nothing againts you. In all cases, you could ask the court to send the questions they considerer to the embasy inorder you to answer, because you do not have to come to Spain

So, you could forget them and nothing will happen or write them asking you to answer at the closer spanish embassy

In all cases, if I were you, I ignore them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply Jose.If I ignore them, could they still fine me?There is no reason for me and my partner to go, as we have no evidence to give. Only to confirm our hotel room was broken into, and that our passports were stolen. An that is about it.I do like travelling to Spain (& Tenerife etc..). So I do not want to hinder my travelling rights into these countries. Could this also happen?
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

They really could, just put a fine, but It is very strange they do.

They know that they have no chances to seize you either to force you to go

If it were a serius criminal fact, they will ask your local police to call you to go there or even they send you a spanish police to get the information

But in your case they will do nothing

If you come into spain you take no risk to be arrested, do not take care about it

Thank you