Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I am the licensee of an almshouse. During a Landlord's Gas

Customer Question

I am the licensee of an almshouse. During a Landlord's Gas Safety Record inspection extensive soot damage was caused to the décor, furnishings and various items due to the negligence of a British Gas Services operative. As a result I was deprived of the full reach and burden of my home while the affected compartments were specialist cleaned, redecorated and refurnished. This deprivation lasted for some six weeks.
I am in my 81st year, am diabetic, suffer with arthritic joints and am considered at risk of stroke, against which contingency I am prescribed ongoing medication. The stress contingent upon my being soot-blasted of my living space and in subsequent contemplation of the risk to my physical health, the consequent loss of privacy, the physical labour necessitated in receiving, installing and assembling replacement items and the contemplation of the possibility of irreversible damage to my goods and chattels, including my extensive library of textbooks and reference works, brough
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. What exactly would you like to know about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like my question was truncated. It goes on to read as follows:
...brought about a high anxiety state for the period.
British Gas prevaricated to the extent that I referred the matter to the Financial Services ombudsman (as per BG’s literature!) but the FSO says the claim is outside his remit! FSO refers me to the Energy ombudsman but I’m out of patience.
My immediate and tangible losses were recovered under my household insurance cover.
Can I recover damages in tort against the BG operative for consequent distress, loss of use and/or loss of amenity? The authorities seem equivocal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The BG operative intimated that he would prefer the matter to be dealt with by his insurers but he was tardy in providing the details; by which time I had activated a claim with my own insurers. Subsequently I sent a claim letter to his insurers for uninsured losses but they have not responded. The general philosophy seems to be that one can cause any amount of inconvenience and upset to a homeowner and walk away with impunity.