Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am a teacher looking to get a caution removed by the

Customer Question

I am a teacher looking to get a caution removed by the police
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What was the caution for and why do you want to get it removed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was for battery. My partner and I had a dispute and we both assaulted each other. I received a conditional caution but as that now shows on my DBS IT is impossible for me to get work. I don't believe I should have received the caution as I hit back in self defence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The whole incident was dealt with terribly, from me almost being forced to accept the caution as the police told me it was no more than a telling off and would not affect my job.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My partner was interviewed u see the influence of alcohol where as I had to wait until I was sober. My partner also withdrew their statement and clarified that I hit back after being assaulted.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** have to pass this on to a colleague of mine who is a criminal lawyer and will be better placed to deal with this - she will likely be back online later this evening ad there is no need for you to reply in the meantime, thanks

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

I have been asked to look at this.

I am really sprry but you cannot remove a caution. It i like a guilty plea at court. There is no appeal from a caution anyway. All that can be done is that you can judicially review the decision to offer a caution which is pointless because even if you won they would just prosecute the offence and rely on your admissions in interview. You are out of time now anyway as a judicial review must be done within three months.

I'm very sorry but that is the reality.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo