Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am the target of a harrassment and hate campaign at the

Customer Question

I am the target of a harrassment and hate campaign at the moment. This has escalated to threats of turning up at my house unless I pay �2k. This is all down to me sending a parcel to the harrasser and hermes losing it. I chased until I could chase no more and now my harrasser is saying I effective stole it by choosing hermes. Now he has vowed to ruin my reputation. I am going to the police today, but wondered what else I can do?
Regards
Paul
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Have you repaid him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there's nothing to repay. He has just attached a £2k value to it as of Friday night and is now asking for that, rather than chasing Hermes who are the ones at fault. Before Friday I was trying to replace the contents of the parcel (newspaper articles) by findig duplicates at the british library. I tried but failed. Now he just wants money.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, surely there is? He has paid for a parcel and he hasn't got it? You are liable for the sum he paid.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Or did he not pay £2k?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He paid me nothing. I had some articles of his that I sent back to him via the courier (that lost it). He has paid me not a penny for any services at any time.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. What are the articles worth?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are cuttings from newspapers. Sentimental value only.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am literally leaving now to go to an appointment with the police. I'll be back in a couple of hours.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, that is something a court would.

You are liable for the value of these items. Come what may, they have been lost. You may well have a claim against Hermes. If it is just cuttings then I'm surprised you incurred the expense of a courier. In any event, the fact that you have a claim against Hermes is not his problem. His claim is against you.

It is not worth £2k though. Even for sentimental value.

In terms of harassment, obviously I haven't had vision of what he has been doing and the police may well give him a harassment warning but it is not harassment to contact you in pursuance of a legitimate claim.

It is possible he is doing that inappropriately. It depends. The fact that he says he has a claim against you is not harassment though.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo