Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I have an ex employee who has hacked my instragram account

Customer Question

Hi I have an ex employee who has hacked my instragram account and is saying slanderous things plus, he has started a hate campaign against us on facebook where people are leaving bad reviews. All of which are friends with him on facebook. He's also taken photos of sensitive paperwork and posted these online
Can I sue, is it worth it and what can I expect
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Has he got any money?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lol - I doubt it very much
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** my colleague has asked me to assist with your query as it is more my area of law. have you reported his actions to the websites and have they acted to try and resolve this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have reported the accusations on instagram and facebook. Instagram said the following threadHi,We aren't able to transfer ownership of accounts and won't be able to continue to assist you with this matter. Please try reaching out to others that may have your password ***** account info.To learn more about our Community Guidelines, please visit the Help Center:http://help.instagram.com/477434105621119/?ref=crLearn how to create a new account:https://help.instagram.com/155940534568753/?ref=crThanks,Godric
Community Operations
Instagram-----Original Message----
From: Russell Perry (*****@******.***)
To: Facebook
Subject: Re: Report a Hacked AccountHi GodricThanks for your reply. Unfortunately the person has been dismissed from the company after he was found stealing goods. I doubt we will be able to to claim out account back.Is there anything we can do to recover the handwork we have put into instagram? We get a lot of business via your channel and we’d hate to see this be the end of our account.If you look at the history of the account you will clearly see that the email address associated to that account has been changed recently to an unauthorised account.Please help.RegardsRussell PerryOn 30 Oct 2015, at 15:57, The Instagram Team wrote:Hi,Unfortunately we aren't able to transfer ownership of accounts from one party to another. To regain access to this account, please try reaching out to others that may have your password ***** account info.To learn more about our Community Guidelines, please visit the Help Center:http://help.instagram.com/477434105621119/?ref=crThanks,Godric
Community Operations
Instagram-----Original Message----To: Facebook
Subject: Re: Report a Hacked AccountThanksPlease find below a shopify ecommerce bill. Please can resolve this as the the person who is hacking our account is creating posts that are detrimental to our business.71 QUEENS - Bath
26 LITTLE SOUTHGATE
BATH
BA1 1AS71 QUEENS - Bristol*****BRISTOL
BS1 3XDwww.71queens.comAny views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of 71 Queens.On 30 Oct 2015, at 11:43, The Instagram Team wrote:Hi,Thanks for contacting Instagram. We need you to confirm your identity so that we can help you get back into your account. Without confirmation that you’re the owner of this account, we can’t be sure we’re helping the right person.Please reply to this email with a digital copy of proof of your association with this business as an attachment. We accept any of the following documents:-Local business license (issued by your city, county, state, etc.)
-Tax filing
-Certificate of Formation
-Articles of Incorporation
-Utility bill
-Proof of domain name registration
-Order fulfillment documentationOnce we receive your document, we'll review the status of your account.To learn tips about logging in, please visit the help center:https://help.instagram.com/374546259294234/?ref=crThanks,The Instagram Team-----End Original Message----------End Original Message-----
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unneck of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I had problems accessing the site over the last couple of days.

You have a couple of options. First of all you can try and report this to the police. There could be offences under the Computer Misuse Act that he is guilty of although it would be for them to investigate and determine if that is the case. At least it is a free service and you have nothing to lose.

If you were looking at the civil route, then whilst there may be options for you to sue, such as on grounds of malicious falsehood or defamation, these can be rather expensive to pursue. For example a claim for defamation will easily set you back in the region of £15-20k. The issue then is that even if the court finds in your favour, it does not guarantee you will get any compensation. The person, as an individual, may not have that many assets or money in general to be able to satisfy the claim. They could for example just declare themselves bankrupt. They could also completely ignore the court’s judgment and leave you in a position where you are left to try different enforcement methods to try and enforce the judgment against them (e.g. bailiffs, earning adjustment order, property charge, etc). Each of these will cost you more money and you will not be guaranteed a successful outcome as it will be a trial and error exercise until you find something that hopefully works.

Therefore, as you can see the legal route is possible but not without its risks and it could easily leave you with a large legal bill and further liabilities which are best avoided. As such the police will be your best bet in the circumstances.

I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.