Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I was just trying to establish how a pin notice lasts...

Customer Question

Hi I was just trying to establish how long a pin notice lasts...
Thank you
Chris
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Chris,

A Police Information Notice has no set time limit during which they have effect. Basically the notices are not formal cautions and signing one does not imply that the alleged harassment has taken place. They are not meant to be used for very long and in*****of Appeal in a case (R(on the Application of T) v the Commissioner of Police for the Metroplis and Secretary of State for the Home Department ruled that retaining such information fro more than a matter of months need to be justified by evidence. I hope that this helps. Please rate positive

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm afraid the answer above is completely wrong. A harassment warning is valid for life to the extent that they are valid at all.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

A harassment warning is an invention of the police. They amount to no more than a warning that further contact is harassment.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Once delivered, unless revoked, they can be relied on for life.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

All that means is that subsequent to the warning the police will consider further contact harassment. You can still raise all the normal defences to harassment.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

But please do not think that you can ignore. Warning after only a few months as that is wrong.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Can I clarify anything for you?