Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Ben and I live in a pub where my partner is the manager. My

Customer Question

Hi Ben my name is ***** ***** I live in a pub where my partner is the manager. My partner is being recorded both visually and with audio by the landlord which she has only just found out about the audio. Everone is being recorded by the pub CCTV. There are no signs in the pub stating to customers that they are being recorded only a sign on the outside of the pub. My partner has been aware of the cameras but wasnt aware her conversations are being recorded until the landlord had a go at something she had said. He also has the live feed from the cameras going to his home to watch what is happening. Id like to know the law and if we have grounds for prosecution? Thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I have been asked to look at this. I'm not sure what you were hoping to prosecute for specifically?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, well id like to know what rights my partner has and if landlord is breaking the law if so which law(s)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if he is then would we be able to prosecute?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My partner says she feels harrassed and is fearing going to work because he is listening to all conversations
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

There isn't an offence that covers that. He is perfectly free to have CCTV in his pub. If she is an employee then I'm afraid she is not being harassed.

He doesn't need to erect signs warning people about the cameras and, in fact, from a crime detection point of view there wouldn't be any point in that.

Most employers have CCTV footage and they don't need any specific permissions.

The only issue may be data protection but all that would mean is that he had to keep the footage in a way that complies with the DPA and anyway it is not an offence.

I'm very sorry but that is your position.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thats all I needed to know thanks for the advice
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem.

All the best.