Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Jo, I countersigned a UK Passport application employee's

Customer Question

Hi Jo,
I countersigned a UK Passport application for an employee's newborn. At the time I was sure I had known the "employee" for at least two years and signed it without much further thought.
I have had a letter querying my countersignature, specifically the length of time that I have known the employee, from HM Passport Office. After sitting down and thinking about it properly I can only have known the employee for circa 23 months. Should I write back to HM Passport office confirming that? It was not a deliberate attempt to mislead, just an error.
Thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, if you have made a mistake then just put your hands up. If you confess they cannot take any action against you. We can all make mistakes. It will only be a problem if you try to cover it up.

Actually in a month you would be able to certify without any issues at all.

They won't take any action against you on this basis.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo