Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Shan, I am a small business and asked a courier to send a

Customer Question

Hi Shan,
I am a small business and asked a courier to send a pallet to the USA. They never told me any prices or charges, took the pallet and are now asking for over £3k. I'm quite angry that they never quoted me n or let me know of all the extra charges etc. What rights do I have to dispute this or ask for a reduction?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked to see how much such a pallet would cost to send normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't have time. And it seems unnecessary after the fact?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, in general you would not be covered by the consumer regulations which would only apply to private consumers and which require the service provider to ensure that the service they provide is done at a ‘reasonable cost’.

However, there could be a contractual issue because when you entered into a contract with them (this would have happened when they agreed to send the parcel for you), they should have discussed the charges with you. If they did not and you agreed to send the pallet based on the information you had, you could try and challenge them for a potential breach of contract for adding charges which were not discussed with you at the outset. It may therefore come down to only paying what such a service would have cost had you bought it from any other reasonable and comparable service provider.

At this stage it is down to them to decide whether to take this matter further. If you refuse to pay what you have been quoted then they will have to decide whether to take you to court to pay that. If they do, then a court will also look at these factors and decide whether these extra charges are reasonable and should stand or if they should be deducted from the total cost.

I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben,
The issue has now been resolved. I was in a panic regarding time at the time. I answered the questionaire. It wasn't that positive because i didn't think i had an answer. The site is confusing- you wait for an answer but a duologue box didn't pop up etc. Anyway, the case is sorted. Thank you for your assistance. Mike
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome and thanks for the feedback, which I will pass on. If you were to leave a rating no on the page could you base it on the contents of the answer, not the navigation around the site, which is a separate matter. Many thanks

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.