Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

My friend has been charged with GBH without intent. The

Customer Question

My friend has been charged with GBH without intent. The evidence against her are;
The victim's statement stating she was not involved in the assault, but was present and that he is sure of his identification.
The vehicle the victim claims was present during the assault which is registered to her name.
The victim is claiming she and others involved in the alleged assault were acting together. She is currently being held on remand. Her lawyer advised her to not comment. What are the odds that she can be released on bail if she provides an address in the same city as where the victim resides?
There is no CCTV footage or any other witness statements. My friend has no prior history of violence and, I believe, a clean criminal record.
I am astounded that she has been charged with GBH and want to know the likelihood of her being released to stay with me (in the same city as the victim) until court. If not, what are her best options currently with regards ***** ***** bail? UK Law/En
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What are the circumstances of this incident?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What further details, specifically, do you require?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The circumstances of the incident?

How did it come about?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He claimed he was beaten up by the suspects who he claims are part of a gang involved in drug dealing, over owed money and pressure for him to 'work' his debt off via drug deals on their behalf. He claims my friend was not involved in the alleged attack, but was present in a vehicle where his description matches a car in her name. He states that she partakes in drug deals under coercion. None of the above is true and all suspects are pleading not guilty. He has informed mutual friends and the suspects prior to remand that this case is revenge and 'pressure' to force charges of a previous GBH charge to be dropped. The suspects are close friends of the victim of a previous attack where the current 'victim's' relative was charged/sentenced (I'm not sure) . He believes that they are integral to having these 'dropped' and will do so under sufficient 'pressure'. He also has informed people he has no plan to go to court as he will not stand up to cross examination; his goal is simply to remand the suspects until they act in his favour.The 'victim' of the current case I'm referring to and his family are well known to the police for drug dealing, burglary and violence. He himself has currently been just released for dealing class As and is, as we speak, still selling class As. The suspects have at most been charged with possession of cannabis...As I stated, evidence provided for this alleged attack are his description of the vehicle (which he would easily have prior knowledge of), his statement, and bruises/wounds. He did not seek medical attention and went to the police around 24hrs after he claimed he was attacked.The 'victim' has also claimed that his prior drug selling charges were under coercion from the suspects to mitigate owed money. However, despite the case and them on remand, he is currently still selling class As. Would proof of this to the police help this case at all?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Does she have any previous?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None for violence at all. She has some minor drug charges for possession of cannabis, but I'm not certain of the details. Based on what I've explained, is remand the only option? And is a bail request only likely to be successful if she she obtains one outside of the city? She's terrified and so am I for what might happen if she has to spend months on remand in prison.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Remand is never the only option. It is whether bail is a realistic option.

I imagine their concern is that she seems to have connections with gangs and also probably previous for the types of bail act offences that people with drugs convictions commit like failing to surrender and offending on bail. That is just a stab in the dark though really.

The best chance of bail is to be well out of the area which usually be outside of the city. If she can't do that then she will have to make other offers

Can I clarify anything for you?