How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 10458
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a spanish national I have been living in the uk since

Customer Question

Hi I am a spanish national I have been living in the uk since 1995 and I have a residential card . My fiance lives in morocco and I wwould like to bring him here we have been together over on year now . I am currently claiming benefits since march 2015 and I am looking to have part time wirk soon I have 3 young children under the age of 5 and working full time is a challange at this moment . I am wondering how I could bring him is it possible to invite him as a fiance whilst I only do 16hr part time wirk and also claim working tax child tax and housing benefit . Or if I go there to get married or is it I need have a full time employment ? I wouldapreciste any advice thank you in advanced
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear Estefania, you will need an income of in excess of £18,600 per year (not including benefits) in order to be able to bring your fiance, or a husband, into the Uk. This is because there are income thresholds in order to bring a partner or another family member in to live in the UK. These income thresholds apply to all people. They were introduced during the first term of DAvid Cameron's Conservative government. The only exemptions would be if you were on disability benefit or were getting carer's allowance. Otherwise, you need to show income above this amount to bring another person in on a visa which will allow them to live and work in the UK. It makes no difference that you are claiming child benefit or housing benefit. The aim is that the person coming in will not be a burden on the State when they arrive. So you would need to ensure your job earnings exceed this figure to bring a husband or partner into the UK from Morocco.

2. I know you have received different advice from two different solicitors. There is no difficulty in continuing to work part time and to claim benefits, but your earnings from the job must be above £18,600 per year. There is no difficulty in claiming housing benefit or child benefit(tax?) and working benefit (tax?) but your earnings need to be above £18,600 per annum from the job.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats for british am not british am eu that was a total waste of money that I jonestly need a refund for

Related UK Law Questions