Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

A friend of mine has the legal right to using a moniker ..he

Customer Question

Hi, a friend of mine has the legal right to using a moniker ..he has usedit for 27yrs, and written over 16 books under it, and give talks and workshops under it. A few years ago he was on British TV using it. It is, in short, his livelihood. He even has
a wiki page under it. We have discovered a woman in Australia who is posting a blog, and posts on social media, under the same pen-name We have pointed out that he has legal right etc, but she refuses to stop using the same moniker....any ideas on what we
can do? Many thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Thank you. Which country does his moniker have goodwill in? Is it England or does it have global appeal? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is global...infact some of his books have American editions etc....he has a strong Internet presence too....
Thankyou for your help AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's global. .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex, the goodwill is global...Thank you
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi thank you. Does he sell books in Australia? reaslistically the only thing you can do is (I) register the name as a trade mark (II) sue this lady in Australia to stop her using the name. Would your friend be prepared to take such action? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, sorry, I just missed your response, Alex, thank you. ....I'm just confirming with my friend if he already owns the trade mark. ..
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Thank you I look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, he used to sell toiletries under the same name...they are "catagory 3" in some territories. ..but he had let others slip...How does one get a trade mark,? And estimated cost? etc....thanks
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you, ***** ***** to hire a Trade Mark attorney in England. If you google Trade Mark attorney a list will come up (we cannot recommend any). The cost depends on how many territories you register the mark in. Kind regards AJ