Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

If a statement was made in police custody on 12th july, and

Customer Question

if a statement was made in police custody on 12th july, and this is the date of alledged charge, then why in court on trial the cps prosecutor keeps referring to the date as 12 june as this is the date on the copy of statement she is using, and she then states it must be a type error, should this statement be removed from evidence
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No, I am sorry.

That type of error is a non issue.

It probably would be corrected if it were brought to the attention of the court but getting a date wrong in a circumstance like that makes no difference. The date is not a material averment in this circumstances. There is no doubt of the date of that a person was in custody and not usually any dispute that they were the person detained.

Sorry if that is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo