Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

A District Council filed a case at a Magistrates Court in a

Customer Question

Hi, a District Council filed a case at a Magistrates Court in a dispute over unpaid empty business rates. I sent my representations in writing as the court suggested due to my ill health. Now the Council's debt collector is demanding the full payment apparently based on the verdict rendered in my absence. But I have not received any verdict in the post, therefore could not take any action upon it. Is a Magistrates Court obliged to send its verdict to a defendant rendered in absentia? Will appreciate your expert advice. Anthony Kirschner/*****@******.***
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. When was the decision made?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****, a debt recovery specialist from the Council says "the Court's hearing was held 13 July, and since I was not present to put forward my defence as to why the liability order application should not go ahead, the Court upheld its decision in granting the liability order on 25 June 2014 in respect of business rates due and payable for 2014/15". The fact was due to my ill health I could not attend the hearings, which were adjourned several times, and the court eventually allowed to make my representations in writing, and such a comprehensive and thoroughly elaborated material was timely delivered for consideration of the court
I have never received any information from the court until the council emailed me on 16 October confirming the verdict had been rendered in their favour. I believe I should have received not only the court verdict, but also a detailed reasoning of how the court arrived at its conclusion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been 3 days since you referred my case to another solicitor. Am I to await any response at all?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Sorry for the delay. So in short the council secured a liability order for council tax?