Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I have a few convictions from 2005. Will they be wiped from

Customer Question

I have a few convictions from 2005. Will they be wiped from my record at the end of this year?
(Assault Occasioning Actual Bodily Harm, Criminal Damage under 5000, Failing to Surrender to Custody, I completed 150 hrs unpaid work and paid £100 compensation.) Or will this always show on an Enhanced Certificate?
I was 19, made a mistake and feel I have paid for it since as I've never been able to do anything that I really wanted to. (Work with children or in adult care)
Thanks in advance.
Michelle.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

I see that there is reference to ABH - this is I afraid going to show on the enhanced DBS particularly if you are applying for positions working with children or vulnerable adults. I attach herewith a guide which provides further information. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/409805/DBS_guide_eligibility_v7.pdf

Happy to discuss - please rate positive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just to clarify, ABH will remain visible on an Enhanced Certificate forever?
Does this mean that, if asked, I must declare it, no matter how far in the past it is? And even though it is long since 'spent'?

There is a list of offences that covers the offences, such as ABH that are exempt from the filtering process – these are referred to in the DBS guidance as ‘specified offences’. Any offence that is included in this list will not be filtered, regardless of whether it was a conviction or a caution. As such it will come up on the DBS even where spent. I hope that this helps. Please rate positive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will need to declare it then?
Can it still be used as a reason not to employ me?

The key is it will give you an opportunity to take charge of the incident - that they were a long time ago - you have changed - they are spent etc..Please rate positive - thanks

I hope this helps - please rate positive