Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I received a police caution for assault no penetration (no

Customer Question

I received a police caution for Sexual assault no penetration (no violence either) in 2008. The circumstances were basically a misunderstanding but due to my embarrassment and shame i wanted to deal with the issue with minimum fuss. I did not consult a solicitor and just accepted the caution. I was never placed on the sex offenders register and have not had any type of offence since or before that. I have recently applied for an Enhanced DBS check and it is still showing. I have also have notification that DBS do not think it relevant to place me on any barring lists. Is there any precedence to have it filtered or is there anything else i can do to stop it showing up? Thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello what type of jobs are you applying for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am currently looking into going back to uni to do a paramedic degree. I have a lot of experience in that area and enjoy the work immensely. I am afraid that I will not be accepted on to the course or able to register at the end of it all.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, sorry I was offline by the time you had replied. Sadly you cannot prevent this from appearing on Enhanced checks in the future. It should already be filtered out of Standard and Basic checks but the issue with Enhanced checks is that it had the ‘Additional Information’ section where the police are free to include any such information which is contained about you on the police database and which they believe is relevant to your application. Sadly this information can remain on your records for life so the only potential way of avoiding this is if you do not have an Enhanced check or if the police do not believe that it is relevant to whatever application you are having done in the future. However, you cannot really remove that from your records, it is an unfortunate position but the law is pretty clear and whilst this will be filtered out from Standard and Basic checks, it always will be a risk that it may appear again on Enhanced checks.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate the honesty. Cheers
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, all the best. If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.