Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My attacker was found guilty but appealed. The appeal was

Customer Question

My attacker was found guilty but appealed. The appeal was upheld. Can i do anything?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hello please provide more details of what happened. What was he found guilty of initially?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was found guilty of assault by beating at Camberwell Magistrates Court. She appealed and the case was re heard at Inner London Crown Court. As a victim I feel very disallusioned with the whole system. I was represented very well by the CPS the first time but at the appeal my representitive was more then useless. He did not pick up on any of the lies her witness told. I had an independent witness who they tried to insist was a friend of mine. She was not, unlike her witness.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid that there is no appeal from this decision.

The Crown do not have a right of appeal from an adverse decision alone. There has to be an error in law and simply disbelieving one side of believing another is not a wrong decision.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't place too much store in the original conviction. It probably was flawed. I used to go to Camberwell Green Magistrates all the time in the days when I still did Magistrates Court work and you would not believe the erroneous convictions. Magistrates are not a very respected tribunal for good reason.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Proper jurors are much more reliable.