Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

My mother pass ad away several years ago but left no will

Customer Question

My mother pass ad away several years ago but left no will she had premium bonds and insurance policy my brother and I helped pay for the funeral we each gave my sister money as she was the Exeter we have since heard there was money left to both me and my brother from my mother how can we find out about what she left as we have no idea of her estate and we did not receive anything my sister has the lot
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

You should write formally to your sister (you may wish to instruct a solicitor) and seek both an account of the estate and a settlement. Even if there is no will there should still be a distribution of the estate - this would go to a husband and if not a husband then equally to all of the children. Please rate positive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have not spoken since my mother's death and she would not respond is there any way we could find out without contacting my sister what was left in the estate besides contacting a solicitor I can't really afford to start taking legal action against her without proof that she has really cheated me out of what my mother left me

Not really because from what you have stated I would be surprised if she has recorded it anywhere. As such the key would be to send a solicitors letter to resolve it. A couple of letters should not costs any more than £100-£150. It may well be money well spent - I hope this helps - please rate positive