Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I recently had a consultation with Clare and I followed her

Customer Question

I recently had a consultation with Clare and I followed her advice and it worked. because at the time he did not collect his property which the man Tom Brandon at the time called the police which after checking the law, they encouraged him away from my
door with the agreement being made that he had to call about his property that was left to be collected. Last night i went home which i then find a letter from him. This is what the letter says Jane Baylis MY BELONGINGS I will be arriving at***** at approximatley 19.00 on Thursday 15 October 2015 accompanied by a police officer to check on my belongings to ensure they are stored safely and to collect selected items. i will notify you in advance should I decide to remove my belongings in the future
but I have no intention of doing so presently. Any attempt to remove my belongings or to damage them will be treated as criminal offence and it is possible that you will be arrested. I have a crime reference number and the police are now fully aware of the
situation. Regards ***** ***** 14 October 2015 That is the letter in full land as stated before they the police moved him on with the agreement to collect his stuff. he has made it clear he is leaving the items there and as far as i am concerned i don't need
to let him in otherwise. help jane and its needed by tonight and some proof of payment to you so to take off his deposit
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I'm really sorry but you cannot deduct the cost of these questions from his deposit. There is no basis to do so in law.

He is perfectly entitled to attend with a police officer to prevent a breach of the peace. You will not be arrested unless you commit any offences which I'm sure you will not do.

Since he is clearly trying to collect his belongings I'm afraid I cannot agree he has abandoned them. He is right to the extent that if you damage them you will be committing criminal damage and that will lead to an arrest and if you remove them that would be theft.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo