Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Is a insurance company entitled to use fillers to fix my car

Customer Question

is a insurance company entitled to use fillers to fix my car instead of using a new part
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. It is certainly possible for insurance companies to undertake repairs using a filler as long as it is done to a proper and reasonable standard and safety is not compromised. Whether filler is appropriate will really depend on the nature of the damage and if it is suitable for such type of rep[air. For example, smaller damage may be suitable for filler repairs, whereas larger damage may not. There is however no specific guidance which states which type of damage may be repaired using filler and which may not. It does depend on a case by case basis and the key is that the repair must be made to a reasonable standard. If you believe this is not the case you can complain to the insurance company directly and go through their full complaints procedure. After that you have the option of taking your case to the Financial Ombudsman for free and they can issue a binding decision which the insurer must follow, so if they find in your favour they may force the insurer to re-do the repair.

I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you