Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have had two cats killed recently on our road because of

Customer Question

Hi
I have had two cats killed recently on our road because of cars not keeping to the 20 mph speed limit.
There are lots of children in this area and I am scared that next time it will be a child.
I have contacted the council to see if we could have speed humps but this does not seem possible due to cost.
Can I pay to have them fitted myself?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but you cannot. You need the permission of the Department of Transport to start laying obstructions of this nature.

Usually speed bumps are fitted following a certain number of casualities which will be the issue here. Also, the counter argument is that they slow down emergency vehicles as well as conventional traffic.

You can always complain about the decision of the council but it is not possible to change the nature of the road surface without proper authorisation.

Sorry if that is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?