Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Am i better to respond to sp30 by post, or in court. I sent

Customer Question

am i better to respond to sp30 by post , or in court. I sent £100 and my paper licenec but not the plastic - it was retuned 2 mths later and the money refund and court summons came 2 days later!
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Have you now received a summons to court?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, a single justice procedural notice giving options to plead guilty under 'single justice procedure' or plead guilty in court , or plead not guilty. offence charged RR84060
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

OK. That is a summons.

The reason your money was refunded was that you didn't send in the complete licence so they couldn't add points. Therefore the fixed penalty could not be offered.

If this is 40 mph in a 30 mph area then you would only get 3 points even at court. The real issue is that the financial penalty will be higher.

If you explain that you tried to accept the fixed penalty then you might be lucky and get a Bench that just fines you £85 and makes you pay a surcharge of £15 so you would be dealt with as though you had the fixed penalty anyway.

In terms of whether to attend, generally speaking people do get better deals if they attend than not.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had thought the court costs involved in court appearance wd make that a more expensive option , so thankyou. Can i ask for a court hearing closer to swindon
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Court costs do rack up the financial penalty but they are not greater because you attend than if you don't.

The truth about this is that it depends on how you come across. If you attend smartly dressed and well behaved then generally you get better deals than people who plead by post. If people are going to attend and shout the odds then they would have been better staying away. I suppose nobody intends to lose their temper but some Magistrates would try the patience of a saint.