Kasare
Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
12488363

Few nights ago a friend of mine got a knocked on her door at

Customer Question

Hi, few nights ago a friend of mine got a knocked on her door at around 7pm, she opened the door to a man with a shirt and a tie asking to confirm the people who lives at her house, and said they are from the council, apparently something to do with electoral
voters? She is worried if that is normal for the council to come round houses out of their working hours, she's thinking he could be a burglar? Would appreciate anyone's advice.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Kasare replied 1 year ago.

Hi thank you for your question, I will try to assist you, but I am not entirely sure what it is you want to know that requires legal advice.

Is there some specific advice you require?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only want to know if the council normally come round out of their working hours to check who lives in the property, my friend thought that's odd for someone from a council to visit at night, she is worried that a spy for burglar pretending to be one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does council normally come round knocking on houses out of their working hours? Many thanks
Expert:  Kasare replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I cannot confirm if the person was from the council or not I am afraid. Some council's may send people after hours when people are home from work. Your friend should have asked for identification at the time. Now however, your friend should contact the council directly and ask if they have sent out employees regarding this issue. If they have not, then she should contact the police regarding the matter and inform them of this incident so that they are aware. There is little they can do at this stage but they can make a note and warn people of a possible scam.

I hope this assists.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice, I will pass this to my friend.