Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

If i had a bank card stolen & reported it stolen to the

Customer Question

If i had a bank card stolen & reported it stolen to the police. If someone got arrested for taking & using it could i get them off the hook & how?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How would you achieve that? Your first report was truthful? Are you saying they didn't commit the offence?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not saying they didn't commit the offence. I would like to call the police if my bank card is stolen so i can stop any money or any more money being took from my account. I don't want to get anyone sent to prison though that's why i wanted to know if there is a way of reporting the card as stolen but not getting anyone in trouble for stealing it.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Do you know who has the card?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't really had a bank card stolen i was just wondering what the situation would be if this did happen. If i didn't know who took the card & i reported it stolen to the police. If they got caught is there a way that i could stop them getting in trouble for stealing the card.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Not on this basis.

If you make a report then you cannot say they had the card with permission if that is not true and anyway it might lead them to ask the question of why they had your permission to have your bank card.

You can only tell the truth in the course of a criminal investigation. If indeed they do have it with your permission then you can make a statement to that effect.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo