Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I emailed you about if i could drop the charges if my flat

Customer Question

I emailed you about if i could drop the charges if my flat got burgled or if my car or motorbike got stolen. You emailed me back & said that you can't drop the charges but you can get them off the hook by saying i gave them permission to take the car or
motorbike or i gave permission to enter my flat. You said the case would fall apart if i said i gave permission,so i couldn't drop the charges but i could get them off the hook like this. What i wanted to know now is if i called the police in the first place
about the burglary or car/motorbike being robbed.What could i say to the police if i start off saying i got robbed & then if someone got arrested change my mind & say i gave them permission. The police are going to want to know why i started off saying i was
robbed then changed my mind to i gave them permission . Surely if i do that the police aren't going to be happy with me & i could get done for wasting police time . What reason could i give for changing my mind & how can i get myself out of trouble for wasting
police time . If i can't get myself out of trouble for wasting police time what would happen to me for doing that.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. What is the truth? Did you give them permission?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was wondering if i didn't give them permission to take my car/motorbike or enter my flat . If someone did steal from me obviously i would like to report that it happened but i wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble with the police. I spoke to a solicitor about this & he said i couldn't drop the charges but i could say i gave them permission & then they couldn't get in trouble for it. If i did that wouldn't i get in trouble for saying i got robbed then saying i gave them permission when someone got caught. Surely i'd get in trouble for wasting police time.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you cannot lie. It would not just be wasting police time. It would be perverting the course of justice for which there is a risk of custody even on a first offence.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure how you could make a report and not disclose the person involved if indeed you do know who they are. If you make a report then you have to be full and frank about it.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The only other way to ensure nobody gets in trouble is not to make a report to the police.

Sorry if that is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo