Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My partner 20 yrs ago was convicted of burglary with intent

Customer Question

my partner 20 yrs ago was convicted of burglary with intent of theft which was admonished. in 2005 he was convicted of drink driving,does he need to declare these on any current job applications or are they now spent?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jenny Mackenzie replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. What kind of work is he looking for? Has he been asked to disclose convictions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trainee Train Driver and they have asked about criminal convictions in the background check section on the application form
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it easier to email me with the details?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. In each conviction, how long were the convictions in each case?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
£60 fine for the breaking and entry and £1 yr ban I think plus fine £700 for drink driving offence.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. In both instances, the convictions are "spent" under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and your partner does not have to disclose them in his application form for the trainee train driver. As both did not involve a term of imprisonment, both became spent within three years of them occurring. So they are long since "spent".