Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I received a letter from a debt company representing a

Customer Question

I received a letter from a debt company representing a utility company presenting a settlement offer for a outstanding debt. They are threatening litigation proceedings against me and apply for a county court judgement order from county court to pay or recover with an enforcement order. The letter is addressed under company X, and sent to my residential address and the outstanding debt is for a business located in another location. The company x is registered under the business and never registered with my residential address. I called the utilities company 4 months ago when they issued outstanding debt that we have nothing to do with this debt and they apologized and said they will close the account and I will hear no more. Background to this is I was a leaseholder of a business and I was a director of that company X for the first 7 months. I later resigned and there was another director who was also a shareholder in place. The first contract with the utilities company lasted one year
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

You should simply write to the debt company and advise them of this and they will take the matter back to the utilities company. Very often the utility companies will sell lists of debts and will not always have updated these lists. Where someone says the debt isn't owed the take the matter back to the company and this will normally resolve the issue. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi can you explain what I need to explain to the debt company? as these company are not easy to deal with. Or should I call the utilities company again and make an official complaint. Regards

It would be quicker if you phone the utility company again and make a complaint. Please rate positive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is my position? am I liable for the costs? if not please explain thanks.

No. You should not be liable for anything. You have stated that you do not personally owe the debt. That is and should be the end of the matter from your perspective. I hope that helps. Please rate positive.

Please rate positive - thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I explained before but you didn't explain to me clearly: I was a previous leaseholder of another premises, letter sent by utility company to my residential address under a company name. I have no connection with this company. Will I be responsible for this company debt, being a previous leaseholder. Thanks, ***** ***** clarification before I submit feedback. Thanks in advance.