Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

My ex husband and i were in court fighting of our children

Customer Question

Hi. My ex husband and i were in court fighting for custordy of our children last week. Under oath he told the court that i had been opening accounts in his mother's name to obtain credit. He also wrote in his sratement for the court that i had been opening accounts in third parties names. This is completely untrue and when i asked his mother she failed to comment. What can i do please
Xxxxx Xxxxxx
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

what type of hearing was it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Child custordy hearing

Was he challenged about these things?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

Can you give me a little more information

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When my barrister was cross examining him he was telling her that i got into debt to buy things when i was depressed. He then went on to say that his mother received a decline letter for a credit card and told her it would have been me trying to obtain credit in her name.

if he has lied in court and you can prove that he lied then you would need to bring this to the court's attention. As you are aware people should never lie in court - the problem is that people lie all too often in court and it is sadly extremely rare that the courts take very much action about it. I would be surprised if the judge gave much weight to this piece of information as I am sure it was challenged by your barrister.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to sue him separately for slander.i just need to know if i have a case

I am afraid not. You can not sue people arising from what they say in court in such circumstances. Happy to discuss.Please rate positive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well my barrister said it was serious. Im not happy with this responce

I am sure that it was serious. But it is and was for your barrister to raise this with the court during the children proceedings. You however are not permitted to bring separate defamation proceedings arising from what is said in court. Your barrister during the proceedings can and should tell the judge that these are lies and put him to strict proof. That is the law. I am happy to deal with any questions, but I can only explain the law rather than tell you what you may want to hear.