Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

Anglian are threatening to take me to court payment of a

Customer Question

Anglian are threatening to take me to court for non payment of a bill. We entered into a contract for installation of soffits, facias and guttering. We had a particular style of bargeboards which they said they would do their best to match but nothing was put in writing. Also they promised to complete the job well before my wife's 60th birthday - again nothing in writing. In the finish, the job was completed well after my wife's birthday and the bargeboards were not done in the style agreed. We had to hold my wife's birthday party in a restaurant which cost me a lot more. Do I have a defendable case? Can I make a counter claim for the anxiety and stress and also damages for the additional cost of the party? Finally, can we insist on this case being heard in the small claims court as the amount in question is about £2500.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Was there a contract in writing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a contract in writing but the agreement about the special style of the barge and the importance of doing the job before my wife's birthday are not written in the contract (as they have a standard contract). However these were discussed and agreed upon verbally before I signed their contract.

Is there a clause which says that representations can not be relied upon?