Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I drove past a manned camera today and was wondering what

Customer Question

Hi, I drove past a manned camera today and was wondering what the fine / points / disqualification is likely to be. I was doing around 50 in a 30
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, is this your first speeding offence?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I have had 3 points which have run out around 6 months ago. And I have been on 2 speed awareness courses. I run my own garage ( I'm not making a lot of money) so I cannot be without a licence. I'm also planning to purchase a lorry (artic and trailer) to run a vehicle haulage side of the business. The previous offence was an SP30.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. You will not be banned. You will almost certainly receive 6 points and a fine if this matter is pursued. It may not be. They do not always as often the cameras do not record or activate properly.

This speed does include a capacity to ban but they are not going to do that on the first occasion.

There will also be costs.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think I'll have to go to court? Or will it be a matter of form filling?
What if I was doing above 50? I dont think I was but as soon as I seen him I braked and seen the speedo needle drop from the top 40's.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You can plead by post but if this is 50 in a 30 mph zone then that is too fast for the fixed penalty Im afraid

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to plead by post? What way would you recommend taking it, pleading in court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It depends whether you are happy to attend court. Overall, generally speaking, people do get better deals if they attend court but really only from the point of view of the points or ban. The financial penalty is slightly higher.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I think overall I would go but it depends on your preferences.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im more worried about a ban or points, I don't mind going to court if I get a better deal. Do you think I could talk my way down to 5 points
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

There is an outside chance but I wouldn't rely on it. You are at the higher end of the relevant sentencing bracket.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so what do think the most likely penalty would be if its 50? And the most likely if its just over 50?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If it is just over 50 then you are in the higher sentencing bracket which would attract either 6 points or a ban of between 7 - 56 days. Probably you will still get points so not much changes.

If your speedometer said 50 then probably you are slightly under though. They are generally conservative.