Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I was caught speeding on a country a road, I pulled out to

Customer Question

Hi, I was caught speeding on a country a road, I pulled out to overtake. Accelerated to 93mph on speedo. So around 90-91 on speedo. I pulled in after overtaking and slowed down to just about 60 at which point I seen the camera van. It was 8am on a Sunday morning and besides the cars i overtook there was no one else on road.
What can I expect at court?
I have just spent the best part of £3000 retraining as a mobile crane operator, and 5 points or more will hinder my job opportunities.
My reason for speeding was I had paid £70 to go to an adventure Park with my little brother, I slept in and was running late. I have no points at the moment.
Thanks in advance.
This was in Scotland
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking what the sentence will be?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I'd asked in the question what I could expect in court. Sorry I should have added it in again at bottom. I'm just panicking. I never usually speed often.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

When you say a country road, I presume you mean a single carriageway A road?

There were no street lights?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah single carriageway a road. No Street lights and very long and straight. No dangerous bends or people.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It depends whether your actual recorded speed was less or more than 90mph. If it was just under then you fall into the second sentencing bracket. Then the sentence would be either 4-6 points or a ban of between 7 - 28 days. If it is over then it would be either 6 points or a ban of between 7 - 56 days.

I would expect points in either instance unless there was some aggravating feature like a school close by.

There will also be a fine of between 75-125% of your weekly income, costs of £85, a court charge of £180 and the surcharge of roughly 10% of the fine. They will give you time to pay.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** if they got my over 90 I will have to take 6 points regardless? I will just need to wait and see.Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, those are the guidelines. They can depart from them but they don't often. They have to justify the departure and Magistrates don't generally like to take any risks.

No problem. All the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can only hope there in a good mood lol. Just one last quick question, if I was over the 90mph, would you advise a lawyer to represent me? Or just go. Take the points and save some cash.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It depends really. It is safer generally to be represented but you won't get legal aid so would have to pay and it does rack up costs. It depends what is more important to you.