Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am a subgroup chair within a community group. The overall

Customer Question

I am a subgroup chair within a community group.
The overall chairperson has send out an email to 10 + people making an aligation that local councils and companies have made complaints to my community group about me.
I have contacted these organisations and they have said they have not had any complaints.
I class this email and behaviour as malicious and the communication is malicious and has called me destress, anxierty and alarm and has compromised my reputation.
What can I do?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What is the allegation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm getting reports from my Chairwomen of the Community Group that I belong to, that individuals at Local Councils and a private company who involved in us doing community work have contacted her to complain about me contacting them.She then emailed me about this, and included 10 other people in the email. Which was unprofessional, but also somewhat malicious, as it has caused me anxiety, stress and worry.I have since found out that there are no complaints, and nobody has any problem with me from the councils or the private company.Her behaviour towards me has been malicious, she has sent an email with full scene for Maescynon to 10+ other people, putting my character and reputation into jeopardy and I want to know what I can do about it.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. But what I need to know is what is the allegation that was made?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I imagine aligation must be that I had been contacting people who didnt want to have contact, but this appears to be false.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

To be wholly honest, I think you would struggle to establish that amounted to defamation. It is untrue. It is mildly unpleasant. It is not really sufficient to cause 'serious damage' to your reputation as the new law demands. If that were made public your friends would not shun you.

That said, it is untrue and I think you would challenge it. You could get a solicitor to write to her warning her of the laws of defamation. She doesn't have to have defamed you on this specific occasion to do that and, in fairness, she is sailing close the wind.

Another alternative is to just press reply all with your findings and ask for an apology. That has the advantage of being free and a public denial and also has the effect of shaming her.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of Solicitor would write a letter and what would they charge?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Any high street firm would be fine. Probably about £100 plus cat. A barrister under public access is slightly cheaper.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've not heard of the barrister under public access. How can I find a barrister under public access and how would I approach them? Do you offer this?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Not all of them have done the course and not all have done the top up course allowing them to write letters.

You can try here

www.churchcourtchambers.co.uk

or

www.5pumpcourt.com