Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My boyfriend was arrested and charged with the importation

Customer Question

My boyfriend was arrested and charged with the importation of cannabis with intent to supply. He is due to go to a preliminary hearing in the crown court next week. It is his first drug offence, is it possible for him to get bail?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How much is involved? What are the circumstances please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He received a package from abroad but does not know anything about the operation in that country, he merely received. The police came to his house when he received the package and he already had cannabis there. I don't know the weight but he is not big time, it would have been a small package. I will know more when i visit him.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It would depend on the weight I'm afraid. How big was the package?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know will know details tomorrow.Can you indicate the level of weight that you cannot get bail?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, it is never really decided on that basis. There are four objections to bail. The most important are failure to surrender and the risk of commission of offences on bail. Generally speaking the more serious the offence the more likely courts are to think that are going to fail to surrender but it is really decided upon strength of evidence. You seem to be saying the evidence is fairly overwhelming though.

If this is a PWITS based offence then anything over 6kg starts to get hard to achieve bail. It can be done but it becomes harder.

Can I clarify anything for you? Jo