Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator
Experience:  LLB, LPC, DELF
13113900

I have a contract based on UK law with a British company. I

Customer Question

I have a contract based on UK law with a British company. I am an American citizen. The company may be purchased by an American company that I do not have a good relationship with. If they do not honor the contract or buy it out, can I sue them?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. If upon purchasing the UK company, the American company causes the UK company to breach the contract, you can sue the UK company for breach of contract. Does your contract have a fixed term? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alex, Thank you. The contract is an annual contract with an automatic renewal. The terms of the contract are July-June each year. The British company may choose not to renew the contract by giving six months notice. So in other words, they must tell me by December 31 if they are not going to renew the contract but I would still work through June. I can disengage from the contract by giving 90 days notice so I must tell them by March 31. So if the new company does not honor the contract, I should go after the original company and even though I am a U.S. citizen and am based in the U.S. I have a right to sue them under U.K. law is what you are saying?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Thank you. Yes that is correct, this is an English law contract and the party to the contract is the English Company. The English Company has its assets and money in England, and therefore if you need to sue for a Judgment and enforce that Judgment, England is the best place to do that.