Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I have a landlord insurance and in March the trampoline at

Customer Question

I have a landlord insurance and in March the trampoline at my rented house blew away in high winds.It damaged a neighbours car and I rang and gave her my insurance details.
I informed my insurers and after some time they came back and told me I aren't insured as it's not listed in the household equipment.The car was I am told a write off and now I have received a letter saying that the car owners insurers will be pursuing the money directly from myself.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. What specifically do you wish to know about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Alive.
A few things really.
Why is it I'm not insured and is this correct.
Am I liable for the costs if my insurers won't honour what I thought was full cover?
What do I do next.Kind Regards
Jon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies Alice not Alive!
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

Hi thanks for the additional information. This really is an issue of whether you are covered under the terms of the insurance policy - cover cannot be taken for granted: you must look at the policy documents to see what's included and what's not. Exclusions will apply in certain circumstances. I have to say though that I am a little surprised that you would have to declare a trampoline - i would have thought that would be covered under the general heading of household contents. I suggest you look carefully at your policy documents and ask your insurer to re-think their position but if they refuse your two options are: make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman on the basis that their decison is unreasonable or pay the damage yourself (if the insurer will not pay then you or the owner of the trampoline will have to compensate the car owner).