Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

My husband is controlling. He pressured me to take a car on

Customer Question

My husband is controlling. He pressured me to take a car on finance in my name 4 weeks ago. Now we cant pay for the car as its too expensive especially since he has changed his mind about hetting rid of the other car in his name and wants to keep it. He wants me to take the car in my name back to the shop now but They dont have any return policy (only exchange) and I dont want to lose the deposit which was £3500 and more than a years wages for me. There are also a couple of minor faults with the car which we flagged up with them a couple of weeks ago but were only offered an exchange at most. The first monthly car payment is due soon.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Are you and your husband still together?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
although he is in Spain at the moment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can phone me on ***********
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Uk number

I am afraid that the fact that he is controlling and exerted pressure on you will not negate the purchase of the vehicle or entitled you to your money back. It may of course be a reason for you to leave him and I would suggest that you talk to an organisation like Womens Aid. There has been caselaw regarding controlling husbands and joint mortgages and the like, but from what you have written I am not convinced that they apply in your circumstances. I am happy to discuss. Please remember to rate positively - thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in my own house which he doesnt help pay for in any respect. I have tried to get him to leave before because of his bullying behaviour but he wont leave. Now I try to make the best of the situation I am in. He has brought another woman to live in lur house who works for him in his self employed business but they seem inseperable. That is why he is in spain at the moment because she left to go there without a word and he has gone there to persuade her to come back. He is contolling towards her aswell. That is why I was pressured into buying this car because it has 7 seats. now that she has moved in with us (6 months ago) and comes on holiday with us and goes everywhere with us it was one of my daughters that he wanted to leave home on her own. I wasnt prepared to do that she is only 13. I tried to reason with him all different solutions and I didnt even want to go on holiday with him but he threatened me saying that 'I shouldnt make him upset because I know what happens when I make him upset' and he hrabbed my arm. Since this snd other previous incidents of abusive and sometimes violent behaviour I always do what I am told. However this time I wasnt prepared to leave one of my daughters at home alone while going on holiday just with him, the girl who works and lives with him, and just 2 of my daughters. I tried every other solution first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just wrote you a really long message did you get it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please can I speak to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please can I speak with you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please can I speak with you

You need to see Womens Aid to take action against him - such as to take out a non molestation order and or occupation order against him. He should not be taking this action against you. Happy to discuss. Please rate positively - thanks

Can you please rate positively - thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi but I still have no good answer as to the best plan to do with this car. If I was receiving pressure and threats from my husband to get this car (otherwise I would have to leave my 13 year old daughter at home alone for 2 weeks) Then can I not explain to them that this contract was made acting under duress?

I think that the difficulty you have here is that you were the only person who bought the car - it was also not the car company which forced you to buy the car. The claim is against your partner and whilst it is arguable that you have a claim against him for the way in which you acted, I am unclear from what you have written as to what blame can be attached to the car company.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no blame to the car company. I just never wanted to buy a car of my own free will.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it have to be the car companies blame if I was acting under duress by a third party?

I am fraud it does - if you are seeking a refund from them. Please remember to rate positively - thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was not the only person who bought the car. He did all the talking and arranged the figures with them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you suggest I persue a different way such as asking to return the car due to the other factors flagged up withvthem of faults with the car?

Yes that would make perfect sense - go with the faults of the car. I hope that helps - please rate positively

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks.

May pleasure - can you please rate positively for me - thanks and please come back if you have more questions

Can you please remember to rate positively - thanks